Thursday, April 20, 2023

I Like Thursdays: April 20, 2023

 


Well it's "I like Thursday" and time to celebrate the good in life.  Be sure to visit other participating bloggers by visiting our hostess, LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!

This week's prompt is:  "make a list of some of your favorite smells.... scents...what do these make you think about? was there a special memory associated with one of them?"


I have always loved the scent of coffee.

The aroma reminds me of Nana Betty's home.  She always had a percolator on the stove, her preferred brewing method.  When I was very little, I would hug her and tell her that I loved her and I loved her 'coffee breath' which made her laugh.  She would make me a beverage she referred to as "coffee-tea" and I loved it.  The cup would be half full of coffee/half of milk with lots of sugar in it.  My father was pretty tolerant but drew the line at "coffee-tea".  "Children shouldn't be drinking coffee," he'd reprimand her.  Nana Betty gave me my mugs when he wasn't around or looking ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜‹


I'm allergic to perfumes and the scent of some flowers--like hyacinth and viburnum can make me ill.  My favorite natural scent is lavender. I grow lavender in my garden and harvest it into sachets each year.  I like lavender scented soaps but I have to sniff the soap before purchasing it (some have other scents mixed in and some don't smell like lavender at all).


Despite my love of lavender, I have never wanted to bake or cook with it.  I've seen that done on the British Baking Show but that's totally uninteresting to me.

Other good things going on here:  

๐Ÿ’–A nice get together with our former neighbors.  Their dog tried to come home with me which I adored!  


๐Ÿ’–Retiring my business as quilt lecturer.  Last program was Wednesday.  In a way it was sad.  The caregiving part of my life felt relief.

๐Ÿ’–Only about 6 more weeks of tree pollen!  I'll be wearing a mask some days when I get back to the garden.

Wishing you a bright and fun weekend!






9 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Whereas I don't care for the scent of lavender. Apparently river otters don't like it, either, so we are going to put big pots of it on our dock to keep them from pooping there.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love lavender too and also don't wear perfume as it doesn't agree with me somehow. Lavender will help keep away mosquitoes we've heard. I now have four pots worth in front of the veranda. Meanwhile, lovely memories and thanks for sharing. Love that little girl poster, so cute.

Anne Kirby said...

My grandma made "coffee" for us, and my son makes "coppy" for his girls ๐Ÿ˜ญ Hyacinth lavender and roses...I could die smelling any one of these. Also sweet peas!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the aroma of coffee freshly brewing in the morning! I have to say I'm not that familiar with the scent of lavender, but you've made me want to check it out. Hope you're back in the garden soon!

PaintedThread said...

Oh, yeah, coffee is a wonderful scent. I don't drink it, but I still love the smell of it. I'm not fond of lavender. And I agree with you - don't like it in cooking! Congrats on wrapping up your lecturing. Parting is always hard, even when it's time.

LA Paylor said...

great story about grandma!!! and you lived, despite the caffeine. I like some lavender scents and isn't it odd that some scents set us off when others don't? I'm like that with certain perfumes but others are fine

LA Paylor said...

forgot to say, I miss teaching and speaking to groups but it's really a relief in a way too. Good luck

Rosemary Dickinson said...

The smell of coffee is so good! My mom would brew coffee every morning for my father before he went to work. I love your coffee/tea that your grandmother snuck to you. Great memories!

Linda said...

Mom and Daddy used to let me drink coffee. Nothing smelled or tasted as good as their percolated coffee. I am with you on perfumes, which I used to wear when I was younger. And also on the lavender-scented things - they are not true lavender, which smells delicate and divine.