Thursday, September 8, 2022

I like Thursdays: September 8, 2022

 Happy Thursday!  Thursday is the day we post what we like as a way to add some positive energy to the internet.  If you need more happy thoughts, visit Not Afraid of Color, our hostess' website for more happy posts!

My husband is traveling again for work and I've been happy not to have to cook this week.  It's a small thing but it's one less chore to do, although I miss him.

We got rain again and that is always something to celebrate during this drought!  On Sunday when Scout and I walked around the lake, there were hardly any ducks and no geese left.  The lake was so low that I'm sure it wasn't providing food for the water fowl.  After the rain Monday and Tuesday, everything was back to normal, even the egret was back!


It was so cool yesterday that the a/c never had to come on and I opened a bunch of windows and aired out the house.  It was delightful!

I like when I realize that a quilt isn't working before I go too far.  This week I started on an owl quilt for a neighbor lady.  Her best friend (also a neighbor) helped me plan it out and I had cut all the fabric and began assembling the project.  After two rows I realized that it wasn't going to work.  Our friend is a big bold woman who loves color and wild prints.  A simple black sashing wasn't going to work, even if the fabric was her favorite tones.  So I ripped everything and began all over again.  

Now I'm just adding different sashing to each block in colors and fabrics I think she will love.  It will be a wild quilt but we are sure this in more in keeping with our friend's personality.

This past week I was so proud that I had used up so many scraps this summer.  Then I began to work on this quilt and man, am I generating scraps again!  


Scout still loves her fan and each time we return from a walk she has to sit in front of "her fan" to cool off.  

Wonder how she will react when the fan is put away in the fall?  We've had fans blowing through the house all summer.  It's helped lower our electricity bills as well.  The one night my husband got up in the middle night and he couldn't figure out what was off--it was a cool night and the fans weren't running and he missed the white noise. 😁

Wishing you a safe and happy weekend!





4 comments:

LA Paylor said...

scout.... that's hilarious about her fan. Micki I've written you so many times, and emailed. It must go to spam but why would it?
please email me at leeannaquilts at gmail dot com with a working email address so you can get all the prompts and my emails about Milo and Scout. So many have gone unanswered over the years.
hope everything is okay with y'all
LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Rain sounds wonderful, and glad it brought the birds back! It's good you didn't go too far with that quilt before deciding to redo it - you definitely want to give your friend a quilt she will love. Scout in front of the fan is a hoot! I'm like your husband - I get used to the sound of the fan all summer long, and miss it when it's not needed anymore.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love when it's cool enough that the air conditioning doesn't come on. We had 2 inches of rain but it just isn't enough. I love using my scraps but it doesn't take much to build them up again! I hope your quilt comes out okay after you change it up! Enjoy the weekend!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, I guess it is a nice little break from cooking when Hubby is away. We have had an overabundance of rain, only had to run the hose to the pond once this summer and used our ceiling fans for cooling, no a/c running as well despite the heat. Very cute photo of Scout with her fan!
I've run into that issue of being unsure with one of my quilting projects. It's a block with so many bits that I feel bogged down with it. Oh well.