Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chick Eggs

I'm still cleaning up the garden from the hail storm. I am figuring it will take a few more days. In addition, the boys (pups) were a bit naughty yesterday and completely smashed a portion of my garden (yeh as if I didn't have enough damage from the hail!). Fortunately, I am moving so much stuff in the garden right now that the portion they messed up was going to be changed anyway. As I cleaned out the bed, I found an old gift: chick eggs.
About 8 years ago, my brother brought Nicholas (his grandson) to visit Paddie and play in our gardens. Nicholas was only 3 yrs. old at the time and his favorite activity was marching on the various paths. As I talked to my brother, Nicholas approached me with his hands behind his back.
"Aunt Michele, I have a present for you," he said and stuck out his chubby fists which clasped two smooth rocks. "Look chick eggs! When they are done, you will you have nice soft chicks to pet in your garden."
Today as I cleaned out the garden, I stumbled upon my chick eggs. I have always kept them in the lower garden, close to the patio because they were such a special gift and also, because I want to see the chicks when they hatch.
To this day, I think this is one of the best and most magical gifts I have ever received. Think about how the reasoning a 3 year old goes through to create the gift: the sequence of the stones, the eggs, the wonderful feeling of petting soft chicks; what a thoughtful and kind present!! Other images from the garden:
Hail torn hosta Two bad dogs contemplate what other mischief they can create:

No comments: