Thursday, January 30, 2020

I like Thursdays: January 30, 2019

Good Morning!  How are you today?  It's Thursday and that means it's "I like Thursday" full of fun things that raise our spirits.

I like brushing my puppy at night.  We play a bit and brush a bit.  Scout has always hated being brushed by we finally got her to think of it as a game.  Now she comes to get brushed
We won't get her groomed until spring so she is a bit of a wooly bully these days.

I like the first finish of 2020!  This lap quilt is for Audrey, my son's girlfriend.  

When the midwinter arrives, I like to organize!

On Friday, I decided to spend some of Saturday reorganizing my buttons.  I have tons of them from women in my family and elderly women who had stopped sewing years ago.  For a while I was just throwing them all in a pile.  I even googled "organizing buttons" and found this wonderful post on the SewDelish blog.  She has good tips but when she got to the second tip, I had to giggle.  She encouraged readers to feel the buttons and let them run through your fingers.  Of course!  That was why I loved buttons when I was a kid! You can read the blog post here.

I found some fun buttons in the mix like these banana buttons that made me giggle too.  Not what I expected to find but very Carmen Miranda!

 And this really large button!

My favorite were these enameled buttons which are very small, about the size of my pinky nail:

It took longer than I thought to reorganize the buttons (I kept finding more bags of them) but it's finally done!

I like the piece of furniture my mom gave me!
She decided to get rid of this for a built in.
It's perfect for organizing my ribbons, appliques, and sewing doo-dads!
You wouldn't believe how much stuff I fit in the drawers!

Over at the Pennsylvania Piecemaker blog, we are sponsoring a giveaway which includes two charm packs of batik fabrics.  You have until Saturday to enter!
Be sure to explore more "I like Thursdays" posts at LeeAnna's blog, Not Afraid of Color!
Have a wonderful day!

10 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, Michele! Aww, Scout looks so pretty and calm sitting by you getting brushed. I would think that would feel nice, and she would enjoy it. I'll bet she enjoys the longer coat in these cold temperatures. That is one pretty quilt for Audrey! I love the black sashing - it really enhances the blocks so nicely. Oh, to play with buttons. I remember my mom had a big tin of buttons when I was small. How funny to have banana buttons! I wonder what project they were purchased for?!! And the real big button - hmm. What could that have been for?! ~smile~ Roseanne

Shannon said...

What a fun list! Scout looks so cute getting brushed! I don't have as many buttons as you, but I do have a bin of them and I agree it is super fun to pick them and let them flow through your hands! There are lots of fun ones in my bin, and I need to think of some project to use them in!

Angie said...

Cool buttons. Beautiful quilt. Happy doggie! Enjoy your day!!🥀🐾

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Scout looks so happy. Oh your buttons are awesome. What fun. I read a book about a button collector not long ago. The little cabinet is fabulous. I am jealous. Looks so neat.

PaintedThread said...

Scout is smiling! Those buttons are fun! I can see why you like the enameled buttons. Ooo, batiks!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Michele, I am a button lover too and was fortunate to inherit quite a collection from Hubby's mom. I love sifting through them with my fingers and finding unusual ones. Like yours. I keep wondering what to do with them so I will definitely be looking into that post. Thanks. Our Rex didn't like being brushed so we had to do it on our walks when he would get distracted by a smell. Murphy, being short haired, just gets a little comb now and then. Pretty quilt as well.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Scout looks very happy to be playing with the brush! Your first quilt finish of 2020 looks wonderful, Michelle - I love 16 patch blocks! Sorting through buttons is a lot of fun - I used to love that when I was a kid with my mom's button tin, too. What a fun collection you have!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Wow-that’ a lot of pretty buttons. Makes you wonder what that big button was for. Lots of pretty photos, too.

LA Paylor said...

Scout is laughing! I swear Milo is the most funny and smartest dog so I know his sister is too. And he's opinionated, so one must make life a game or he's not going to play along.
buttons... LOVE how silky they feel falling through your hands, the shiny colors. Your system now lets you see them which I like. Is that a card catalogue? I was just asking an antique dealer for a card catalogue from a library... I want one for the studio. They were in every library across the country and are gone... where are they?

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Sorry I'm so late to comment! That's what happens when you work weekends! I love the feel of buttons! We always had boxes of buttons around my dad's tailor shop. I always played with them when I was little. I still do!