Thursday, January 16, 2020

I Like Thursdays: January 16, 2020


Good Morning!
How are you doing today?  It's a beautiful morning in Pennsylvania although we are bracing for snow this weekend!

It's "I like Thursdays" and time to post positive things on the internet.  For more positive posts, visit LeeAnna, our hostess with the most-ess!


Scout has been doing well this past week and we are very grateful.  Here she is while we are visiting my Mom and her dog Greta.  Both dogs like to gnaw on things together (they are working on some bones together).  They are good friends and Scout loves to see her Greta!

I like snowdrops blooming in January!  Spring is months away but we are always happy to see a sneak peak in these wonderful little flowers!

I'm back to work now that the holidays are over!  My focus is researching and preparing some new suffrage lectures for local historical societies and museums.  I spent a lot of time at the library at Easton PA and although I had been there many years ago, was surprised to see this statue at the exit.  I thought it was lovely.  

It's slim pickings on tv right now.  One evening I had a long and wonderful text conversation with my best friend Linda.  She and her husband travel in the winter and they are in Florida right now.  She was excited to tell me she had visited the home of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings at Cross Creek.  Decades ago we loved the movie Cross Creek--have you ever seen it?  I highly recommend it!

Linda sent me a lot of photos from her tour and I thought I would share a few with you:

I love this quilt (above).  I don't know why I gravitate to simple patterns right now but for some reason they speak to me.  I find this quilt soothing.

Marjorie's bedroom and below sewing machine!


Ironing in the breezeway!

Most of the books on this shelf were edited by the great Max Perkins who was also Marjorie's editor.  When I was young, I went through a phase in my life  that I was intent on reading all the books Max edited.  I got pretty far although I can't remember the plots of some of the books because it was decades ago.

Well that is all our business for this week.  Be sure to stop over to the Pennsylvania Piecemaker blog as well for more updates on women's suffrage!





7 comments:

Julierose said...

Great likes this week--so nice to have a close friend like that...
lovely quilt on that bed, too...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I would love to see something blooming at this time of year - those little snowdrops are lovely! How fun to see where Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings lived and that your friend sent you photos! I remember loving her books and hadn't thought about her in a long time.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Michele! Oh, I'm glad to hear Scout is doing better. She looks so cute, lying and chewing with Greta. How wonderful that they get along - Greta's a puppy Auntie. No, I guess she would be a Mom . . . well, no. Ahh, you know what I mean! You aren't kidding about slim picking on TV! Egads - thousands of channels and nothing to watch. What a fun post you shared today. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Love that crazy quilt. Glad Scout is doing well.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Glad Scout is doing well. Bobbin has been a bit under the weather after going to the vet for her shots. Put her in bed next to me last night and she didn't wiggle a whisker. Lovely statue. How fun to text with besties. Lots of awesome likes this week.

LA Paylor said...

ahhhh a breezeway... that word took me back to growing up in Florida. Scout has a longer coat for the winter like Milo does. Sometimes I worry for his nose leather in our extreme wind and cold of CO. but I left his body hair long this time. He weighs 52 lbs and someone asked last weekend if he weighed 90!!!
that pink and white quilt is peaceful.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, snowdrops in January. We are bracing for our first snowstorm of the year but that's ok it is January after all. You have a job I think I would like researching and such. I too love that quilt. What a nice comfortable environment.