Thursday, January 2, 2020

I Like Thursdays: January 2, 2020

It's the roaring twenties!!!  How are you doing today?  Like everyone else I know, I have to keep telling myself today is Thursday not Monday.  Midweek holidays do have a way of confusing me!

It's been a looooong holiday for us with family coming in for the last week and finally ending on New Years Eve.  The fun part of the holiday was meeting my niece's new stepchildren and showering them with presents and attention.  Little ones really make the holiday better!
Our new great nephew was a whirl of activity and took to the dogs especially little Ruca who was worn out after playing with Scout and layed nicely while the little guy learned "gentle" and stroked her head!

Did you watch "Crafts in America" last week?  It is a PBS special that runs around this time of year.  Last week they featured quilts and it was a very interesting show.  I loved learning about the quilters and seeing Ken Burns interviewed about his quilt collection.  You may be able to see it online if you didn't catch it then.  



Another episode followed after the "quilts" episode and it was entitled "Identity."  It was interesting to me to learn about the crafts Japanese Americans made while being held in internment camps during World War 2.  I learned a new word during that show--gaman--which was mentioned frequently.  Gaman is a Zen Buddhist concept meaning "enduring the seemingly unbearable with patience and dignity."

I like the book Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.  I think I will reread it this year.  I discovered the book years ago after--of all  people--my 80 something year old grandmother recommended it.  Someone had left a copy of it at her house and she really enjoyed reading it.

By the morning of New Year's Eve, even Scout was exhausted from all the merriment and we snuck a few hours in to resume her schedule and get some much needed sewing therapy.  I finished this wall hanging:
I also began working on a new lap quilt for one of the teens in our family.  Years ago I was enchanted with the idea of a "plus sign" quilt and even bought fabric for the project.  I found a free pattern over at the Fat Quarter Shop called Layer Cake Lattice and assembled the blocks.  The pattern calls to just assemble the plus signs together:
I didn't like that idea and also to make the quilt larger, I decided to sash it and auditioned a couple of colors with it:
I've decided to go with the gray sashing and will begin to assemble the piece today.

Have a wonderful new year and be sure to visit our hostess LeeAnna for more positive posts!


8 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt finish and finishing up one, too...Great picture of learning "gentle"...Happy New Year and happy quilt finishing...hugs, Julierose

LA Paylor said...

awe the baby and puppy. Gotta read that book. I saw both the pbs shows and fascinated with both. happy 2020

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Michele! Aww, your little great-nephew looks to be about the same size as Dominic (2). He loves being gentle and petting the puppy. And Ruca was so good! I love your wall hanging - it's kind of like a shadow-box or a 3D effect. Love the Plus signs with the gray you chose - those blocks kind of resemble a nine-patch only with a solid center row? Very cool! Happy New Year to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like the gray background, too! Those PBS shows sound interesting - I'll have to look for them. I've heard about Ken Burns' quilt collection, and would enjoying learning more about it. Happy New Year, Michele!

PaintedThread said...

I really like the wall hanging! Happy New Year!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Children really do make the holidays so much more special. The tired puppy is so cute. Love your quilts.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I saw that episode on PBS and thoroughly enjoyed it! I love Victoria Findlay Wolfe and found her interview very interesting. I'm also back to sewing for myself. I love the plus sign quilt. Your wall hanging looks great too! Enjoy the quiet after the holidays!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

That quilt is going to be so beautiful and I like the grey too. Meanwhile we have been busy..for us, too. And mixed up with the days. Sounds like a wonderful holiday for you and Scout. He’s very well socialized which is good. May 2020 be the most wonderful year for you!