Thursday, January 3, 2019

I like Thursdays: January 3, 2019

I'm grateful the holidays are over and life returns to normal.  I'm late in posting today because holidays throw me a bit.  I just realized it's Thursday!


I like Scout's new haircut, doesn't she look pretty?

Every day here is grey grey grey.  We live up the street from a florist so I bought me a pick-me-up:
The flowers in the back of the vase are alstroemeria.  They are about the best cutting flower I know of and I have friends in California that grow them there successfully.  In a few days I'll post more photos of them.  They last for WEEKS and come in a variety of colors.  I just need some sunshine and green right now.

Hopefully this week I will hang up this illustration I picked up before my back went out (I'm feeling better, still need PT but much improved).


I love the cottage illustration and I am intrigued by the chain frame.  I have another piece similarly framed:

The above illustration is by one of my favorite artists:

He was a turn of the century artist who immigrated from France and settled in California.  He was an early settler in the Hollywood area.  I have a number of pieces by him because I love flowers and clearly he did too!




There is a book about him that I picked up.  It has wonderful illustrations of the  flowers he painted.  You can read more about him online and there are lots of his illustrations on Pinterest.

  He had a heck of a garden in California.  It was apparently very well known and attracted a lot of visitors:


I always think about gardening after the holidays.  I'm just yearning for sunshine and the ability to work and live outside.

Since that isn't going to happen for another 3 months, I'll have to be satisfied with writing and sewing.

What are you working on this winter?
Have a great day!




6 comments:

Roseanne said...

Hi Michele,
Scout look so very pretty with her hair cut and her snazzy scarf. Oh yes, we have had plenty of gray skies around these parts as well but today there is some sunshine. At least partially which certainly helps a lot! Those flowers do provide a great spot and splash of spring-to-come. It seems so long away on January 3rd but we all know it will be here before you know it. And, your back is feeling better?!! That's the best news of all. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

you're getting lots of rain and snow this year. Scout is beautiful. I just love her hair color, and that expression... "happy now?" with a head tilt and eye roll.
we just had to bathe Milo early, peee-youuuuuuu
Then yesterday he was nose deep sniffing snow (really?) and another stupid goose flew over and pooped right next to his face! I got home and it was on his pretty ear hair. OMG, back in the shower.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It must be time to start the "_____ weeks until Spring" countdown, don't you think? I'm ready! :) What beautiful paintings - I would love to visit his home and garden in California!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Scout you look fabulous. Love those prints I would grab them up too, and the chains are neat also. I love old things. I agree I am ready for spring too. I love I almost daily get a seed catalog to peruse, but I did have sunshine today.

Allie said...

Aw Scout looks adorable!!! Those eyes!! Wow I love your prints, I think I need to find some for my house. And your gorgeous flowers - I'm going to have to borrow that idea, it's always so bleak here in winter. I'm ready for sunshine and warm breezes!!

PaintedThread said...

Scout is adorable! I like all those flower prints.