Thursday, June 22, 2023

I Like Thursdays: June 22, 2023

 


Happy Summer everyone!  Well it's Thursday and I'm back to posting for "I like Thursdays."  Bloggers join LeeAnna to celebrate the good in life.

Last week was just really busy but I'm back now.  Here's some things I like!


Scott McGillivray's show, Scott's Vacation House Rules is back on tv and I always enjoy his humor and the banter between him and designer, Debra Salmoni.

After what seems like an eternity, PBS Masterpiece is back on our local channel.  Mom and I are watching Ridley.  The opening episode was okay.  We are waiting to see how this one plays out.

Speaking of British shows, a bunch of my family have these lengthy conversations about them.  My husband won't watch any of them so he is left in the dark.  Conversations begin like "Did you see...."  and end up with us trying to recall other series that featured the actors.  It's our kind of fun!


We finally got rain!

The gardening neighbors were texting things like "Yahoo!"  and "DANCING!"   The garden feels like it's dancing too.  There is no substitute for real rain in a garden and everything has perked up!


Our prompt this week is about our childhood and the ice cream truck.  We didn't often get the truck in our neighborhood and I don't really recall it ever being in the city where my Nana lived (and where we spent most of our time).  My husband doesn't remember the trucks being in his area much either.  What we did have were lots of drive-in little ice cream places that sold soft ice cream.  Hubby and I had a lot of fun reminiscing about those locations last weekend when we ourselves went for soft ice cream.

To be honest, money was tight for both our families.  We were more likely to get ice cream at home than from the truck or the ice cream stand.  Nana was raising her three younger children plus my brother and I and that's a lot of mouths to feed.  The dessert she served most often was watermelon.  Pop would pick melons up from local farm stands and it fed us and some of the neighbor kids too.


Wishing you a safe and happy weekend!





7 comments:

Angela said...

I am also grateful that we got some rain this past week. So needed! Happy summer to you!

LA Paylor said...

we had watermelon last night... love it!
the other day a jingle jangle of an ice cream truck went down our remote street. I wondered if any kids knew what that meant.
we have your rain, come get it please. El Nino is causing us to have nearly daily torrential rain, the hail has broken windows and all our screens, last night flooding to the point of coming up to the sliding door to the porch. In colorado... dry colorado which is now humid. and hot. The think colorado had going for it to us was the lack of humidity. oy
LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We watched Ridley on Sunday night, too! We watch a lot of British detective shows - we're starting to recognize the actors. Hooray for rain, too!

PaintedThread said...

We have Ridley bookmarked. Thanks for reminding me. We just finished DI Ray on PBS's Passport.

Angie said...

Michele - it sounds like our family (food) lives were similar - my Mom had to make the budget stretch across nine people! Our most common dessert was something from the garden, especially apples - fresh, applesauce, apple crumble, apple pie, etc.! Joining you from I Like Thursday!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

We've had a very rainy Spring so far. Last year, we had a drought. You just never know!! We couldn't get ice cream from the ice cream truck very often either. It was always a treat. Enjoy the weekend!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely memory of the watermelons. Ice cream from the drive in was definitely a treat for us too. We love the British shows and have Brit Box. Will look into Ridley.