Thursday, June 23, 2022

I Like Thursdays: June 23, 2022

 Happy Thursday!  Happy Thoughts!


The week has been full of interesting wildlife!


Scout's friend Tinkerbell has been driving everyone crazy trying to get into forbidden parts of the yard.  Turns out little Tink realized that this baby bunny was living there.  The bunny is wary of the dogs but seems unafraid of people.  Scout hasn't really been aware of the bunny--she's not exactly the world's best hunter.  😂

I was at the doctor's on Monday.  I am feeling better.  But I looked out the window and saw (2 blocks away) the rooftop of an apartment building filled with turkey vultures.  

There were at least a dozen of them up there.  I marveled how this vulture or that kept standing there with it's wings outstretched.  They could stand like that for minutes!  I wondered if it was to defend the committee of vultures there.  Turns out that this behavior has a name, "the horaltic pose" and vultures do that early in the morning to warm themselves.  I just love learning new things, don't you?

Scout and I continue our walks and she is feeling better as well.  We were surprised on our walk on Tuesday when we encountered a dove.  Mourning doves are very common around here.  They always seem to be in my yard.  But this dove was different:


I was worried it was injured because it didn't fly away when it saw Scout and I.  But it was fine--and glorious to watch when it did finally fly off!

The Rose Garden is attached to our walking path and it is another favorite of ours.  



The rose gardens here always have had signs that notated the name of the rose.  Now there's even a gadget you can scan to tell you more about the rose!


Connecting with Lee Anna and the other "I like" bloggers!

Have a safe and happy weekend!

















8 comments:

LA Paylor said...

what a pretty dove... we have too many around here. Glad you and scout are out on walks... take care

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You did see some interesting wildlife this week! I love bunnies in our yard, although many people don't. They just look like they belong there! I think the turkey vultures spread their wings when perching for a couple reasons - either to dry out or to warm up. We've seen other birds doing that, too - like cormorants.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

That is interesting about the turkey vultures. Your walks look awesome and what a gorgeous rose garden. What a cute bun. Bobbin likes to chase birds but I don't know if she ever sees the squirrels and buns around here.

PaintedThread said...

Look at that bun! I'd chase him, too. LOL Neat photo of the turkey vulture. Beautiful rose garden. Good likes!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a lovely post! Full of neat things including bird and bunny things too which I love. Neat to have seen all those turkey vultures in one spot. I've seen ones. The Mourning Doves here are not that bright and stick around on the ground when Ned is out. Luckily for them, Ned is not that keen to spot them. How great to be able to scan and read about the flowers. Amazing technology.

Susie H said...

OH! I would love roses along my walks! They look so pretty! I did not know that trivia about vultures. I've seen other birds do that around here too though. Adorable bunnies! I wish we had more around here but the last few years the numbers seem to have declines. *sad face*

Miaismine said...

What a beautiful header photo you have! I want to jump into the picture and stay awhile! How cute about Scout not noticing the Bunny!
Your life seems to be filled with the beauty of nature! How lovely!

Elvira said...

Que bonito jardín para caminar, me alegra que podáis hacerlo a diario
Besos