Thursday, February 2, 2017

I Like Thursdays #14

HAPPY GROUNDHOG'S DAY!


1. I LIKE I like Thursdays and here is why.  When LeeAnna of "Not Afraid of Color" initiated the day, I was immediately enthused about the idea of bringing a positive day to the week.  But to be honest, it gives me pause and also reminds me to be grateful.  Thanks LeeAnna!

2.  We all love that the winter has been mild enough that the snowdrops began to bloom in January.  My neighbors tell me that next week the temp is supposed to be in the 50s!  Remember--49 days until Spring!  


3.  And speaking of spring, it's Groundhog Day or in Pennsylvania Dutch, "Gruundsaudaag".  Most people don't know that Groundhog Day derived from a European celebration entitled "Candelmas": the day that denoted the mid point between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox.  
As a native Pennsylvanian, here is what I can tell you about the Groundhog Days I've experienced:  if the groundhog sees his shadow, it means 6 more weeks of Winter; and, despite the superstition, if the groundhog doesn't see his shadow, it still means 6 more weeks of Winter.  Today, Puxsutawney Phil saw his shadow.  

4.  Sometimes in life, we stumble upon people who seem to be on the same path as one's self.  LeeAnna is one of those people in my world and odd, unexplainable things happen as we get to know each other.  Today LeeAnna posted about some free "5 Fat Quarter Fun" tutorials.  It was on my list to share this week so I'll share a photo of the other free patterns (tutorials are located here).  

5.  I like Bread.  For many years now, I've known that I have S.A.D. aka Seasonal Affect Disorder.  My friend Diana and I worked near windows back in the 1980s and we realized that we both perked up and energized whenever the sun peaked through the clouds.  We REALLY accomplished a lot when it was sunny all day.  Nobody knew about S.A.D. then.  

What most people don't realize is that part of this kind of depression includes a craving for carbohydrates.  The carbs increase serotonin which is decreased when you have this disorder.  It's also why I gain weight every winter because that is only the time of year I want BREAD BREAD BREAD!
6.  I like crochet and I always pick up these Bread doilies when I see them.  These fascinate me because a) I don't know how to crochet and really wish I did and b) why did people make doilies with the word "Bread" on them?  Were these used on baskets or to remind a husband what to pick up on the way home (okay, I'm just being silly). 

These doilies were actually used to place in trays to serve bread.  I get a kick out of them and ironically don't have a bread tray.  I just like them.  Here is a vintage pattern for the second one pictured above:


That concludes our Groundhog Celebration at 3P&N.  Be sure to visit LeeAnna's site to learn what she likes as well as the other participating bloggers!  Have a great day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Groundhog Day! I just love seeing the snow drops too! They're not out here yet, but soon I hope!

Sandra :) said...

I'm with you on the carb craving - it's especially dangerous during the time of the year when it's too cold to be out and about more than is absolutely necessary!

I haven't seen bread doilies before - imagine making one and then using it to decorate your bread tray (or basket?) - so adorable!

I'm glad your temps are rather moderate - we're in a bit of a cold spell - we're definitely not finished with winter just yet ... although that doesn't come as much of a surprise to any of us, lol. This too shall pass! ;)