Thursday, December 22, 2016

I Like Thursdays #10

Well it's that wonderful day of the week!  Positivity abounds on "I Like Thursdays" founded by our friend LeeAnna at her blog, "Not Afraid of Color" (here).

What do I like this week?

1.  Having a few weeks alone to get Christmas together.  My husband travels a lot with his job and this month, I was grateful to get a few weeks in where everything could be baked, wrapped and cleaned for the Christmas brunch.  YEEHAW!  Done and just doing some light things on Saturday and then welcoming the gang!

2.  I liked baking this year.  The new cookie recipe that I liked was Nestle's Mint Chip Chocolate Cookie.  You can find the recipe here.  I didn't use the mint chips though.  I found miniature Andes candies in the baking aisle and used that instead.  At first I wasn't sure I liked them.  But now that my palette is cleared (of sugary goods), I have to say these are quite tasty!
3.  I like how Seamus is acting these days.  He's learned some new tricks, is attempting to manipulate us more (always a normal poodle sign), and seems more alert.  We aren't going to do bloodwork until after the holidays but I must say, I'm feeling more optimistic. 

4.  My favorite gift to give this year is an unusual one.  I have a sister-in-law with early onset dementia.  It is heartbreaking and this year has been really tough on her and most of all, my brother-in-law, her husband and primary caregiver.  I know it will get tougher too.  So when I found an article in the New York Times (article here) about a new gadget being used with dementia/alzheimer patients, I decided to do some research and see what others who used it said.  What is it?  A robotic cat (they have dogs too) made by Hasbro that more nursing homes are using to calm patients when they become agitated.  

I know all about this.  When Seamus was an active therapy dog, we would sometimes be asked to go to the dementia/alheimers ward to help calm the patients--and it worked!  So after reading a lot of positive responses from consumers, I decided to order one for Diane.  She lost her own Kitty this year and one of her favorite things is to pet animals, small animals especially (this is really helpful when there is a lot of activity around her).

Kitty came this week and I have to say, I'm really surprised at all that she can do.  Her eyes don't just blink but get small when she is being stroked, She meows, she rolls over on her back so you can scratch her belly (and she rolls back too when she is done with that).  She raises her paw as if to clean her paw.  Oh...and she purrs and she feels like she is purring (the weight of the cat and vibration is spot on to a real cat).  I can't say enough for this product.  I took it to my Mom's to make sure it worked and thought you would like to see Greta's reaction (white poodle girlfriend of Seamus).  PS-that's my mom with Kitty who also is teasing Greta:

5.  My last like is finishing another UFO.  This was a split nine patch quilt that I made with scraps of Christmas fabrics I had (some for years).  Still not sure who to give it to but it will be nice to have it around for a present. sideways 
 I especially like the quilting (thanks Terri Trotter!) in the shape of cardinals!!

That's it for this week!  I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday!!!


1 comment:

LA Paylor said...

I just love the dementia pets. Love them and am telling lots of people about them. Thanks Mickie, so happy that Seamus is feeling feisty! Ho ho ho little poodle!LeeAnna