Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sandy, the aurora is rising behind us....

Greetings from Eastern...

For two days I've been humming the old Bruce Springsteen song as Hurricane Sandy approaches.  I'm still not sure how much rain we are expecting.  I hear things from 2 to 8 (or more) inches.  Say some prayers for the folks in New Jersey, Delaware, and New York who live along the shore and hopefully have evacuated for safer havens...
My husband and I live on top of hill so the only flooding we will experience will be the normal leaks and creaks you get living in an old house.  My brother lives down the street (and down the hill from me) and I know he will keep me posted on how the creek is doing.  Personally I wish he and his wife would stay up here with me but I get that they are more comfortable in their own place.  We live surrounded by small bodies of water--creeks, ponds, so its not unusual for us to get locked in because of flooding around us.  My brother's house is high enough to avoid flooding as long as he moves his car to higher ground.

We will surely lose power as we live in an old city with a lot of old trees and folks who don't drive wisely in this kind of weather.  We tend to lose power on a regular basis anyway so we are always prepared with the usual batteries, radios, and plug in phones.   I'm charging up the old laptop so I can at least write during the black out.  So we are prepared for the worst but hoping for the best!  

Hope all the rest of my blog friends in the path of this Nor'easter stay safe and dry!


3 comments:

Sherry said...

Hi from Central NJ. We've been told by our electric company that we could lose power for up to 3 weeks. . . not a pleasant thought.

Last year we lost power for 5 days (due to Irene) and that was a disaster.

Hope all is right with you & your family.

Allie said...

I've been wondering how you were doing Mickie, and saying a few prayers for you - so good to know you're on top of a hill - I hope you don't lose power, or if you do, it comes back very quickly. Big big hugs to you and the pups!!!

Sandra :) said...

*waving at you from the aurora (well, the Aurora, anyways) rising behind you* !!!!! :)

Stay safe and dry - I don't know how much of Sandy we're going to see but a (nearby) quilt shop trip I was scheduled to go on next week, has been postponed for a few days - just in case - better safe than sorry!