Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recent Redwork Acquisitions:

I stumbled into some nice (and affordable) redwork buys in the last few months.  They were all picked up locally and spoke to me.  The first two definately felt like 19th century pieces (splashers).


This one below feels more early 20th century to me.  I wondered if it was a nod to The WaterBabies by Charles Kingsley or even Peter Pan by James Barrie. The landscape and particularly the mushrooms have a more Arts and Crafts feel to them:

Peter Pan, original illustration by Arthur Rackham:
Water Baby Illustration by Jessie Wilcox Smith.
I'll never know for sure where the redwork picture came from, but it's fun to wonder!

2 comments:

Carol said...

They are all lovely. What a great find.

Allie said...

GREAT buys - I never find anything like that, or if I do, it's priced into the stratosphere!