Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tomatoe, Tomaato...

This post is for my friend Molly who has been asking me about our Topsy Turvy tomatoes. (note garage where I have been ripping the ivy off). Brad hung them off the garage because there is literally no place else to hang them. I was not keen on doing this because our last batch of tomatoes (2 years ago) encountered squirrel challenges. Every time a tomato would ripen, the squirrels would pull it off the vine and take bites out of it.

I became so disgusted that I pulled all the mater plants. To add insult to injury, the squirrels then attacked our neighbors' tomatoes and brought the stolen contraband to our garden. So I was intent to not grow them again. But Brad longed for tomatoes so this is the 2009 experiment.......
The only challenge we have had is that we had so much rain in the beginning of the summer that we lost a lot of soil in the bags. We just replaced the soil yesterday.


The good thing is we have tomatoes already. I will post which maters turn out the best. This year we are experimenting with traditional, roma and
CHERRY!!! The first mater :)

1 comment:

Mollie Jo and Bobo said...

Nice post and wonderful pictures. I have been wondering how well this works. My grandfather has the same problem with his garden. He has deer and racoons that invade.

-Katie