Monday, February 23, 2015

Sewing machine debate...featherweight thoughts?

Why yes it did snow again this weekend...
however it got up to 40 degrees yesterday which was wonderful.  Our problem hasn't been so much the snow but the frigid temperatures.  The chatter everywhere focuses on frozen pipes, burst pipes, preventative measures--and yes, we are all a bit on edge because of it.  As if all this wasn't enough, our temps have dropped 10 degrees this morning already (it's 8:30 a.m.) and we are in for another spell of below zero temps.  The tv is reporting school closings due to water main breaks.

I'm doing what I have to and keeping busy with sewing and organizing.  I just said to my girlfriends the other day that I would be interested in getting a featherweight machine for my first floor and voila, an affordable one was offered to me yesterday.  I had repaired my grandmother's sewing machine but it doesn't work as smoothly as I had hoped.  I'm still pondering--do you have a featherweight and do you like it?

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I do have a Featherweight along with my Bernina. I use the Featherweight when I go to my SIL's house to sew or take it along in our trailer when we travel. It is compact and not heavy like my Bernina. I do enjoy the perfect straight stitch. I did have to buy a 1/4" foot with a guard, as mine only came with a 1/8th" foot.

Allie said...

Freezing here too - below zero most nights - one spot in MI was -28 this morning. I LOVE my
Featherweight, you can get a walking foot for it, and a table, or an extension bed, it's awesome. Especially when all you need is a straight stitch - which for me, is most of the time. I also like the fact that if something goes wrong with it, I can fix it myself, I have a couple of books and there are TONS of youtube videos to help. The only thing that makes me nervous is oiling it, I never had to oil my Viking.

Sandra :) said...

You got up to 40 yesterday??!! We were almost at -40(C) this morning with the windchill - I don't think we'll have above freezing temperatures for several weeks yet - UGHHHH!

I don't have a FW - I have my 201 that sews so beautifully, but to be honest, I can't stand not having zigzag and decorative stitches (without having to hook up the attachments for them) so I put her away and I just use my Singer or Babylock. My 201 is a beautiful girl - FW's are even prettier!

Wonky Girl said...

Gads, I feel for you over the weather. We lived in Iowa for few years and experienced the cold. Oh my goodness! We went south after that.
FW? I have one that I paper piece on and sew strips onto foundations for string blocks. It's just plain fun to have. For precise piecing my Viking keeps me happy with it's even feed system, I'm addicted to that. That said, you will not regret purchasing a FW. JMO