Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome to our 44th President......

Thoughts today...

When I was a little girl, it amazed society that a Catholic could become President. It seemed unlikely that a woman would ever hold a position of power in the government, and even less likely that an African American would be elected to a significant political office. Today, with the rest of the world, I witnessed history as President Obama became our 44th President.

Good luck and congratulations Mr. President. I woke up at 5 am today and my first thought was a prayer that God keep you and your family safe and secondly, that your vision be realized.

You are the People's President: as evidenced by the millions crowded into D.C. today, the millions more watching you on tv---people of all colors and backgrounds.

Last night my husband expressed skeptism about whether or not you will be to achieve your goal of 3.7 million jobs in the next 4 years. I didn't argue with him. But I couldn't help remember another president--FDR--who was met with skepticism when he made a different prediction. In 1940, the U.S. was woefully unprepared for WW II. FDR stated that the U.S. would build 50,000 airplanes in the next four years. His prediction was also met with skeptism and scorn. And those who ridiculed him were right. For the U.S. did not produce 50,000 airplanes during those 4 years; we built 100,000.

The United States was initiated as an experiment in freedom and democracy. It has evolved throughout history to mean different things not only to its citizens but to the world. Ours is not only an example of democracy but a shining beacon of optimism that has often illuminated the world. I was raised to believe that anything was possible and that as my father often said "you can do anything you wish to in this world." You remind me us of that spirit and work ethic that allowed our country to win two World Wars--preserving freedom not only here, but in the world.
Your gift to me has not been that you are the first African American to become president or that you promise to do this or that. Your gift to me was articulating many of the frustrations I have felt the last 8 years. Your gift has been reminding us the price that our freedom and citizenry requires. As Woodrow Wilson once said: "Liberty had never come from government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it." God bless you President Obama and God bless us all (no exceptions)!

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Well said, Mickie!!! I agree with you 100%