Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ice Storms Do That


"When I see birches bend to left and right
Across the line of straighter darker trees,
I like to think some boy’s been swinging them.
But swinging doesn’t bend them down to stay.
Ice-storms do that.
Often you must have seen them
Loaded with ice a sunny winter morning
After a rain. They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
Soon the sun’s warmth makes them shed crystal shells
Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust—
Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away
You’d think the inner dome of heaven had fallen
."
---from Birches by Robert Frost
Well it is another beautiful day in paradise. I thought of this poem this morning because I have a peegee hydrangea tree in my front yard and many of the branches are pointing downward, heavy with ice. I'd like to get a picture of it but it is pouring rain (now 33 degrees). The weather people say that it is going to be a dangerous evening...the temperature tonight will be 26 and surely the roads will ice again.
Meanwhile the kids in the valley are happy, I'm sure. All the valley schools are closed again while the southern regions were on a two hour delay. Even Helena is delayed in getting here today (she should be here by noon). Meanwhile, I am listening for the sound of the branches "click upon themselves".....

4 comments:

fen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheryl said...

Thanks for the nudge for Macy*s. After stewing a bit, I had about decided I needed to let someone from corporate know...

Sharon said...

Didn't we once get snow storms around here? Now it seems that we get as much ice as snow; hate when the power goes out!

CC said...

Hi Micky,
Thanks for the visit to my blog and the sweet comment. I really appreciate it. I see you love Sunbonnet Sue as well..:). Come back and visit whenever you can..love to have you visit.