Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Show time!

I love quilt shows, it's like being a kid again and going to the county fair.  So here are some of my bargains from the Colonial Show: 
Three Antique/Vintage Quilt tops:
This star one I think I am going to finish.  I love the happy colors in it!  Also...check out my new rug, tried to get part of it in the pic ;)
This top is adorable, isn't it?  There are 56 blocks already made up; all were done by hand.  I think I might make two smaller quilts out of it because I have some of the peach and blue polka dotted fabric.  There is actually enough fans to make some more blocks but I don't see making it bigger, I see making it smaller.  Anyway, I love it!
I also got a crazy quilt.  It was very reasonable because it was in tough condition, but it had these intriguing squares.  I'm guessing they were cigarette silks--
He's having a swell tell time.  
Notice the jug has "Water" on it.  Not sure if this an ironic wink at the Temperance movement or based on something else like a joke (noticed well is underlined) or political innuendo.
May we kiss whom we please and please whom we kiss!
 "Catch me if you can" is actually embroidered.

6 comments:

Linda said...

What great finds! I especially love the crazy quilt.

Sandra :) said...

I like the hexie quilt the best - it's happy and fun and colourful! Not sure what cigarette silks are but the blocks sure look like someone had a great sense of humour!

Allie said...

Oh my gosh you got some beautiful quilts - I love that star quilt, I have one similar that I need to quilt! I bet those are cigarette silks, what an amazing find! The fans are awesome. And I LOVE your new rug! It's beautiful!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Wow those are some neat quilts! Yes finish the star quilt, it's a beauty.

Wonky Girl said...

Whoa, you hit the jackpot with your finds. Love the crazy quilt blocks. I have never seen anything like those blocks before.

Barb said...

Love the star top. It will finish up beautifully.
My first thought on seeing the rectangles in the crazy quilt was post cards. I've seen "funny" leather postcards, and that's what these reminded me of. But I've never seen fabric ones -- something new to research.