Saturday, March 21, 2009

Flea market finds.........

Sunbonnet sewing kit
I have two other ones and just enjoy finding them now and then!
You put your hand work in the head part and the brim is used for your tools, clever eh?
Juvenile coverlet.
The top folds over the pillow.
I have a couple of these too, they must have been really popular at one time. I find them embellished with applique, embroidery, crayon, etc. I often wonder if it is for an actual crib (they often seem a little more mature than baby things) or for a junior bed that uses a crib mattress. I would like to know more about them but never have really seen ads for them in the magazines I have from the early part of the 20th Century. I'll have to go back and look more closely.
This one is embellished with a Dutch theme and is well done. I wonder if it was a kit.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Interesting finds...both very neat.

Patty said...

I've never seen a sunbonnet sewing kit before. That's really neat. If I were more talented, I'd try coming up with a tutorial to make one.