Thursday, May 4, 2023

I Like Thursdays: May 4, 2023

 


Well it's Thursday and time to post the things we like!  For more inspirational and happy posts, visit our hostess LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!

This week's prompt is about singing.  I grew up in an Irish-American family and everyone sang all the time.  I would play the piano and my father and grandfather would sing old Irish folks songs and standards from Tin Pan Alley.

I mostly just sing to babies and dogs.  Each of my pups had their own song I made up for them and they all loved it!  Yes, dogs do respond to singing--especially in high sing-song voices!

Last weekend I received a wonderful package in the mail.  My friend Beth made this lovely cross-stitched picture and I love it!


Beth has been doing a lot of cross stitch while caring for her mother and I was surprised she had the time to do this one for me.  It's a Lori Holt pattern and she knows I love Lori's work.  Thank you Beth!

We've had a rainy week here in Pennsylvania and I've gotten a lot of blocks done for my next quilt.  It's for Katie (next door) who is getting married in the fall.  She used to play with my granddaughter and I watched all the kids next door grow-up and loved them like my own grandkids.

I'm happy that one of my favorite shows is back on tv.  "Restoring Galveston" is one of my favorite shows and I love the young couple and the work they do to restore old homes.

Other than taking care of Mom, it's been a quiet week.  But quiet weeks are good too!

Have a safe and happy weekend!



6 comments:

Angela said...

That was some happy mail! So lovely.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi lovely post. That is a lovely image of family singing around the piano. I am just over 40% Irish according to my DNA test,birth name was Murphy( why I had a dog named Murphy). Music is important and also emotional in many ways too.
How great to get a hand pieced gift! Sweet of Beth. I agree quiet weeks are good!

PaintedThread said...

I sing to my guinea pigs! LOL I like the cross stitch.

grammajudyb said...

Lovely gift from your friend. I’m doing a bit of counted cross stitch again. I’ve found some magnifiers that help! And good lighting is key also! What fun to have memories of sing around the piano. DH had an Aunt who played and all her sisters sang. Pretty well as I remember!

Linda said...

What a lovely gift! I love Lori's cross stitch pieces. Your singing with family sounds wonderful and such good memories I'm sure. I'll have to look for that Galveston show. We made many trips there during the 1990s, mainly to stay in a beach house, but I always loved seeing the "old" part of town. I agree with you about quiet weeks!

LA Paylor said...

oh, to have been raised in a house with joyful singing, the connections made.
are you a suprano?
Love, LeeAnna