Thursday, July 18, 2024

I Like Thursdays: July 18, 2024

 


It's time for "I like Thursday" hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!

We've been getting rain in the form of storms but some rain is better than none.  Tuesday's storms left our neighborhood a mess.  Many trees fell (some on houses) and our street was blocked by a tree until yesterday morning.  I think the trees are just bone tired.  Too much dryness and heat has left the trees vulnerable.  It's disheartening to see the trees like this but we do desperately need the rain.

I like that the temperatures are lower today and will be for a few days!  

I like taking Lucky for walks at various parks.  The other day we were at a local park that has a walking path outside the playground and sports courts.  This part of the park is fenced in.  Dogs are not allowed in the interior but welcomed at the walking path that surrounds it.
I didn't get a photo of this but I have to tell you that on Tuesday it was a fun walk.  There were two fawn and a mama inside the park.  All along the fence that surrounds the park, dogs stopped to watch the fawns who appeared completely unafraid of the dogs.  The dogs didn't bark at the animals--although their noses were madly sniffing.  It amused the heck out of me but surprised me that none of the dogs barked.  It was like the dogs were going to a special dog zoo and observing wildlife!  

Eventually, Mama deer collected her young-uns and left the park.

House sparrows are a real nuisance bird.  They chase other birds from the feeders and can be aggressive as well.  

Hughie loves watching the birds and feeding the birds but he's having a problem with the sparrows.  One day while he was at a grandchild's game, the sparrows did a number on his bird feeder.  He came home to find the above nest complete with some eggs.  I guess this is one way the sparrows will keep other birds from the feeder...but Hughie will NOT feed the birds again until he can dispose of the nest.  😂😂

This week's prompt is do we like to go to outdoor performances like concerts or plays.  When we were young, we would attend outside band concerts near my Nana's house.  Some local parks still sponsor concerts with local musicians.  I don't really care for going outside anymore.  Perhaps it's the heat this summer.  I just want to stay cool!

Wishing you a safe and happy weekend!







6 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, how sweet. It is like the dogs knew they were just babies.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is too bad about the storms bringing the trees down. I hate to see that happening! I bet it was fun to see the mama deer and babies at your park, though. Funny that the dogs didn't bark! Stay cool and sew on!

Robin said...

That's quite a nest. Some of the animals are smarter than I give them credit for.

PaintedThread said...

The fawns have been fun to watch around here, too. That bird feeder conversion is quite impressive! (in a bad ways). I am not fond of sparrows either.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I spotted a fawn with mother recently too but didn't get a photo. Amazing how the bird has used your feeder for a nesting site. I've not seen that before. Yes, the high winds bring down trees here too but usually the old ones of which there are many here. Happy Weekend!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

So nice you got to see the fawns. I love seeing them. I can't believe the bird nest in the feeder. So strange! The weather has been weird this year. We actually had a day with no humidity. I loved it!