Thursday, April 6, 2023

I Like Thursdays: April 6, 2023

 


Happy Passover!
Happy Easter!
Happy Thursday!

Today is the day that we share what makes us happy as part of "I like Thursdays."  Bloggers participate and you can read more posts via our hostess LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!


There is a cardinal that makes me laugh every single morning at daybreak.  It must have a nest down the street but as soon as a little light breaks on the horizon, this bird starts calling and she is LOUD!  The song makes me step outside my front door every morning to listen.  Perhaps because the street is so quiet, the sound travels clearly.  I asked a neighbor if the bird woke her up every morning.  Yes she said, but it beats the sounds of the crows she heard this winter.  
***
Our prompt this week is about Easter and Easter memories.  What I remember the most is the days leading up to the holiday.  Tomorrow is Good Friday.  As a child, I remember our grandmother hushing us because it was a solemn day and we weren't allowed to make a lot of noise.  We (the kids) were fed light meals while the adults fasted.  On Saturday we decorated eggs and eagerly awaited the arrival of the Easter Bunny and the Resurrection.  I never attended an egg hunt.  For many Christians, this is the holiest of all holidays and what I remember most is the religious aspect of the weekend.

***

One thing I do remember about Easter is my aunt and uncles getting chicks at Easter.  My aunt and uncles were my age and we were all fascinated by the little peeps of the chicks!  Did you ever get a chick for Easter?

However you celebrate the holiday, I wish you a weekend of peace and joy!







8 comments:

Libby in TN said...

That's a HE cardinal in your picture. We have very vocal ones here, too, that wake me most mornings when the sun is visible (unlike today that is overcast and gloomy).

Linda said...

I love your cardinal! I see them often at our bird feeder and want to attract more of them. I remember the religious aspect the most at Easter - the Easter bunny never did much for me. I had chickens, so I did not receive any more at Easter. I hope you have a wonderful, special Easter!

Robin said...

Asking about the chicks gave me a memory I haven't thought about for over 60 years. The chicks were available at Low Cost Drug in my hometown. You could hear them over everything else that was going on in the store. They were up at the check out counters so the temptation was in full display. They would dye the chicks so you could purchase a blue, pink, or purple one. I don't remember actually getting one but I felt bad when they stopped dyeing the chicks due to a health hazard for the little peeps. It just wasn't the same after that.

PaintedThread said...

It's amazing cardinals are so loud and yet are exceedingly shy. Why bring attention to yourself!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We don't get cardinals out west here, so love your story about the loud one in your neighborhood! I always think of Good Friday as a solemn day, too. Followed by the joy of Easter Sunday - I've always loved the sunrise service!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

My remembrances of Easter are very similar, the emphasis was on the religious aspects and I didn't like Good Friday. Like you, it was solemn and we had to be quiet too. But then loved Easter Sunday with the new spring outfits and a large meal. Have a good weekend, Michele.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love seeing you cardinal! Gorgeous! I think Easter is definitely more fun nowadays. We always went to church in our new outfits and then had a big family dinner. Have a wonderful holiday!

LA Paylor said...

that was a sweet post! Loved it all from waking to bird call to peeps!