Thursday, June 8, 2023

I Like Thursdays: June 8, 2023

 


Happy Thursday!

Time to roll out our list of things we like!  Please join us by visiting all the bloggers via our hostess, LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!



First thing to like:  my husband's rapid recovery from hand surgery.  Even the physical therapist is stunned by his progress!

***


Garden visitors!  We've had a number of folks stop by the front garden this past week, mostly because of the impact of the Missouri Primrose blossoms!  It's so funny because all of them purposely walked by our house to see the garden.  One woman showed me that she keeps photos of our garden on her phone.  She even remembered the Suffrage Garden of 2020!  

Another couple believed they were destined to own the house.   Our address was the last 4 digits of their telephone number and they considered that a sign.  They lived a half mile from us but always made sure they walked by the garden.

Visitors like that are one of the benefits of having a garden.  You get to meet more neighbors!

***

Lana's prompt this week is about ice cream memories.  We didn't have many childhood rituals about ice cream.  But the best ice cream was at my Nana and Pop's house because they bought novelty things that we loved...fudgsicles, ice cream bars, sandwiches, etc.   My maternal grandparents lived on Sixth Avenue; my paternal grandparents live on Fourteenth Avenue.  My brother, sister-aunt, brother-uncle and I walked the long alley from Nana Betty's to Nana Elsie's to visit.  We were always greeted with Nana Elsie's novelty ice cream.

***

Wishing you all a safe and happy weekend!


7 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

Had to chuckle about the couple who thought they were destined to own your house - ha! I can see why you have so many visitors, though - what beautiful flowers! I had forgotten about fudgsicles! Yum!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful flowers, Michele! So glad your garden gets noticed. I love how you could visit your grandparents by walking the alley between their houses. An ice cream treat at the end was a good reward!

PaintedThread said...

Yay for your husband recovering quickly. Your garden is beautiful.

Miaismine said...

Yay for your husband’s recovery! Your primrose blossoms are so lovely! If I lived near you, I would also walk by your home! Absolutely lovely!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a beautiful garden! It's great to hear about your husband's progress. Ice cream was such a treat when we were kids. I used to love Hoodsie's which I completely forgot about!

Angela said...

Lovely ice cream memories!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow to those flowers! I love them and no wonder they are a hit with the neighbours. And what nice people they are. Also wow to your husband's progress, those docs have seen a lot so for them to be so pleased is really encouraging. My grandmother was an Elsie also Amelia Elsie and I named my older daughter Amelia after her and added Jane which was Elsie's mother's name.
I once went in house for sale that had Morris wall paper which I thought was a sign the house was meant for me. Alas not.