Thursday, May 30, 2019

I Like Thursday: May 30, 2019

The scent of peonies is everywhere Scout and I walk these days.  
I love the fragrance!

This week has been all about the garden!

I've spent all of the week weeding, mulching, and gardening the front yard.  I wish I could tell you I'm done but alas, no.  Gardens are never done but I had to give my hands a break from repetitive weeding 😊

And then the weather turned anyway....
The humidity and storms came in with a vengeance but we didn't have the devastation of the midwest.  Please keep all those folks in your prayers!

My favorite flower this week is Astrantia, also known as Masterwort (yes, Astrantia is a prettier name).  It is blooming in my much neglected back yard right now but I'll be weeding there as soon as we get better weather.

 I also like these pretty asiatic lilies.  I'm hoping the rocks keep the squirrels from digging them up.

 In the front yard, I've set up a bird bath for Scout's viewing pleasure!  She can watch the birds from her favorite window but is far enough away that she can't bother them during their bath.

Lastly, I've put a lot of lemon balm around our back patio.  When my husband is home, he is greatly bothered by mosquitoes and I've read lemon balm is supposed to repel those bugs.  I'll let you know if it works!

Have a wonderful week and be sure to visit other "I Like" posts by visiting LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!




8 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Funny I have a mosquito hating hubby too. He really complains and I hope that lemon balm works because I need something too. I am more concerned about ticks lately. Anyway, great post Michele...I enjoyed reading and seeing your lovely flowers which are stage 2 in the season compared to mine. We are still having a hard time holding onto the sun!

Julierose said...

Oh thanks for the hint about lemon balm--mosquitoes seem to gravitate to me...
ugh!! I think I will put a couple pots around my deck chair...your garden is so lovely.....
My peony is still tightly furled--still very chilly here..gray and rainy; but my bleeding hearts seem to like it okay. And my hydrangea which I cut back massively last Fall, was hugely overgrown for its spot at the bottom of my deck... hopefully I didn't mess it up....
thanks for the lovely "green" listing...hugs, Julierose

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Michele! Oh, I look forward to your update about the lemon balm. That would be a worthwhile investment if it does work. I wonder if they are an annual or perennial - I'll have to check that out. Your garden looks so pretty - the birds will love their new bird bath. I used to take care of my neighbors bird bath when I was a child. I didn't quite get it then but would definitely enjoy it now! ~smile~ Roseanne

Suzanne said...

I have not heard of the Masterwort...it is beautiful!

PaintedThread said...

Peonies! We don't have any around here, but we had some in our yard growing up. The asiatic lilies are so yellow and cheery! We were both in a green, growing mood for this week's post. You have more pretty stuff to show off, though!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your gardens and flowers are so lovely! I didn't know about lemon balm either, but it would be great to have a plant that would repel them. We are very entertained by the birds who enjoy our birdbath - I hope Scout enjoys her view of the birds in your yard!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I have heard lemon grass works too. Your yard is so pretty love the flowers, and what a great idea to thwart the squirrels.

LA Paylor said...

I will try lemon balm now too. I never saw your flower of the week, Astonia? SO pretty. LeeAnna