Thursday, March 21, 2019

Welcome Spring! I like Thursdays: March 21, 2019

Happy Spring!
My daffodils aren't blooming yet but I'm excited that soon they will be!

I bought a new quilt old quilt in February and it reminds me of spring too!

I also found this wonderful runner that is embroidered and crocheted!

Yesterday I worked in the garden.  I've got two overgrown rose bushes that I'm removing a little at a time.  Despite their rigourous growth, they have a virus and have to be completely be removed from the garden out front.  I'm more fortunate than the Rose Garden in our park.  The city has had to remove hundreds of bushes with the virus.  If you ever see this on your roses, it isn't good:

Image result for rosette virus

Image result for rosette virus

Image result for rosette virus

I was going to change the garden out front anyway so it isn't a big deal.  I'm just glad I figured it out!

Spring makes me want to clean out things besides the garden.  This week I cleaned and reorganized a number of cupboards and it feels much better!  

This is my junk cupboard.  I cleared about two boxes of things out of here.  

Gardens grow and change like everything else.  If you enjoy gardening, check out Monty Don (books, netflix, etc.).  I love how he writes and the thoughts he shared in March which you can find here:
https://montydon.com/tips-and-advice/

Visit LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for more fun positive posts!
Wishing you a happy and peaceful week!  Hugs!




9 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Michele! My daffodils are just peeking out about an inch or so. Enough that I know they are coming in droves soon. Yay - we made it to Spring and I sure enjoyed your weekly countdown. Spring cleaning is about to commence in our house once the school break arrives (after Easter). ~smile~ Roseanne

Shannon said...

Sorry about your roses! I guess it's the impetus you need to renovate though. And I love your cleaned out cupboard. I've been doing a little of that myself and it's fun to have things tidy at the end!!

LA Paylor said...

you'll have that place a haven in no time. I am looking out at our backyard now, grass ringed with a wide swath of stones and wondering how to make it into a haven instead of an example of how dry it is.

Jean said...

Enjoyed reading your post of all the spring things. Just spent some time walking around our yard and was so happy to see things sprouting and returning. Sorry about your rose bush. Hope you find something wonderful to take its place. Have a great weekend!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for Spring! I love the pink in your new/old quilt and that crocheted runner looks wonderful! Working in the garden sounds good, but it's too bad your roses got that virus. Have fun with your new gardening plans!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I just love that embroidered, crocheted runner. What work! Those are both great finds.
I was sad to read about that rose virus requiring all those bushes to be removed. But this happens from time to time with growing things.
Thanks for that link; I will be checking out Monty. Though we still have a while before I will be in the garden, it poured rain overnight so the snow took quite a cutting.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

The virus growth looks like red seaweed. That's too bad it got your roses and the rose garden. I like how you put a positive spin to having to remove yours. Happy gardening. :-)

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Wow- I've never seen a virus like that on roses. how sad. Enjoy your garden. Happy Spring.

PaintedThread said...

A rose virus - never heard of such a thing. We saw one crocus pop up this week - which means there will be lots more soon!