Thursday, February 15, 2018

I like Thursdays, February 15, 2018

Link up to Not Afraid of Color for more likes.

Greetings friends!  Can you believe it:  

Only 33 days until spring! 


My first like is that Scout is finally able to exercise and be a normal puppy.  Even though she got the cone off after 2 weeks but the doctor felt she needed an additional week of rest.  She is free!  Free now!
Greta was glad to see her again!

We are happy that we can walk again and the weather has been wonderful this week.  We are supposed to get some snow again on Saturday but next week looks wonderful so we will be able to keep exercising.  

I like walking.  It allows me to appreciate so much in our little world.  The wonderful thing about winter is that it heightens my appreciation for springtime.  Right now, I see the world through "spring eyes" which is a mixture of emotions: relief that the weather is turning and joy at everything that is emerging or appears beautiful again.
Doesn't this Red Twig Dogwood look lovely in the sunlight?

I like donuts but these goodies are different.
These are FASTNACHTS!
I live in Pennsylvania Dutch country and in our valley, we celebrate Fat Tuesday by eating Fastnachts.  Fastnacht translates to "fast night" and are special donuts made just for this day.  For our local bakeries, it means an overwhelming amount of business.
The line outside our local bakery.  By the time I got my donuts, the line had tripled.  It's a fun day because as we all wait patiently for our pastries, we chat about which topping we prefer and how far we travel.  There are always some newbies to our region who are intrigued (and delighted) about a special donut day and we welcome them with opened arms.

These donuts are the ONLY thing bakeries make on Fastnacht Day.  You can get them plain or sprinkled with sugar or powder.  The newspaper reported the one bakery was prepared to make 60,000 fastnachts for the day.  I know that our local shop had 10 people baking in the kitchen.  Most places run out of donuts by 2 p.m.

Well that is this week's edition.  Have a good day!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Missed checking in last week, but love the donut idea for Shrove Tuesday! We had a pancake night with friends from church. We rented the kitchen/foyer of the community centre as it is getting too crowded when when we have everybody here at our house!

Libby in TN said...

YUM!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Look yummy. So I see that they were supposed to prevent boils in the coming year also. Love seeing the lore.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Michele,
I love your spring countdown! Thank you for that! That looks like a bleeding heart in white - so pretty. It's always nice to see puppies playing around, especially after they had to rest for a few weeks. It always brings a smile to my face! I have a fabulous red-twig dogwood in my backyard that I rarely see because it is off to the side where I can only see if I go out the garage door. They look pretty in the sunlight and the against the snow. ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm looking at the world with Spring in my eyes, too- the daffodil sprouts are poking up just a tiny bit in my garden. Hooray! The Red Twig Dogwood is a neat sight, and it's fun to know about the Fastnacht tradition, too. They look yummy!

LA Paylor said...

I have never heard of those donuts! What a cool local event. I'd have stood in line with you and gotten two dozen. Scout is a pretty girl and lucky to have Greta. Milo has no real buds to play with and he needs to play. He's been on rest four times in his little life. They are almost a year old now... where did the time go? Well, I have the puppy teeth scars to remind me...

PaintedThread said...

Those fastnachts sound fascinating. And delicious. What a neat thing. Glad Scout is free!

Angie in SoCal said...

That was so interesting. I'm going to go back and read some more of your Like Thursdays. Now I know where to go next Fat Tuesday.

Allie-oops Designs said...

So glad Scout is finally FREE!!! Yippee!!! I bet she's enjoying your walks more than ever, lol! I'm still waiting for "spring eyes", too much snow yet, although it's melting fast.
Here in Detroit, the Fat Tuesday treat is paczki's, pronounced punch key. Usually made with lard, and filled to perfection with lemon, raspberry, rhubarb, apple or other filling. I eat way too many every year! All the Polish bakeries do a whopping big business on Fat Tuesday!